Monday, May 31, 2010

Little Bee


a story of human triumph
Again, I rely on the New York Times Bestsellers List for this one; and the fact that the cover is very cool. But appearance and performance aside, this book is phenomenal, enough said. I took a chance reading books like this and it certainly hadn't failed me.
We are greeted by Little Bee, a sixteen year old refugee from Nigeria. She is staying in a detention center in England, for entering UK illegally. She boarded a cargo ship, exporting tea to UK. Her sole intention of her journey is to find Andrew O'Rourke, whose drivers license she found back in the beach in Nigeria. After two years in the detention center, she and three other illegal refugees, walked on the England soil to find a better life and to find the O'Rourkes.
Andrew and his wife Sarah O'Rourke lived in Surrey. A couple of years ago they had gone to Nigeria for a holiday. It was where they met Little Bee and his sister Nkiruka, and the bad soldiers. It was at the time of the oli conflict in Niger Delta, where oil companies forced the locals to abandon their home and sometimes ended up in death. Little and her sister managed to escape the ruthless nature of the soldier but they met with the O'Rourkes. The soldier was about to kill the girls, they only way to avoid this is for Andrew and Sarah to cut off their middle finger.
Only one girl survived that day. She knocked on the door of the O'Rourke's family, the day of Andrew's funeral. He had hanged himself, supposedly for feeling guilty to let the other girl die.
This story is brave; told the whole situation very detailed and honest. It makes you scared for both the girls and the O'Rourkes. It was horrifying, really, to see how human greed can triumph compassion and human rights. But it is also very inspiring, how a young girl would set on a journey, to the most unfamiliar places, hoping to find a home. Little Bee had nothing in Nigeria, she lost her home, parents and sister. Going to the UK was supposed to be a hope for a better life.
In the end, Sarah took her in and they became good friends. Little Bee also befriends with Lawrance Osborn, Sarah's lover and affair and Charlie, her only son. I love the part between Sarah and Little Bee, the conversations are so powerful yet heartwarming. It's all about empowerment and how to overcome grief. But the part of the conversation I didn't like is that it's very grown up. Little Bee is just sixteen, from a non English speaking country, how can she master such degree of speaking? It makes me wonder. I don't speak like her, for sure, but I absolutely love every words she said.
Little Bee is such a bold piece of work unlike any other book I've read. I know, I didn't read many books like these but this one is going to be one of my favorites. It's very a touching human survival story, about determination and standing up for youself.
always,
hana.
PS: I read that Nicole Kidman is going to produced and starred in Little Bee as Sarah. I swear I can hear her voice speaking the conversation. I couldn't imagine Nicole without her finger! It said that she fought very hard to buy the rights, having read the book on a flight from Australia to LA. I will definitely wait for this one! Oh, and Little Bee was released as The Other Hand in the UK so don't be confused, they're the same!

3 comments:

  1. well, it's such as great book, as well as the review. I always love reading about struggle, especially when it comes from female character. it teaches us to be better person. :)

    keep writing dear, I've already out your link in my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean put, not out. sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya ampun hanaaa ini gue pengen banget baca waktu liat di aksara, harganya berapaan ya?

    ReplyDelete